It premiered on March 13, 2020.
A new member of the Human Appreciation Society, Mattholomule, challenges Gus for position as president when he turns the society against him with his accusations about Gus' authentic human treasures being a fraud. Gus turns to Luz for help, only to be reminded that she's banned from Hexside; Eda says the principal did Luz a favor banning her, leading to an argument between them. Luz is pretty bummed out by the fact she cannot attend Hexside. Desperate to save his role as president, Gus lies to Luz and says he got the ban lifted, which makes her very happy.
The next day, Gus brings Luz into school disguised as a student. Things become very complicated for Gus, especially now when the school has guards that can sniff out troublemakers. He does everything he can to keep Luz from getting caught, and/or finding out that he lied about the ban being lifted.
Back at the Owl House, Eda has been thinking about Luz's desire to attend magic school. She reluctantly decides to pay Principal Bump a visit and asks to have Luz enrolled at Hexside. Principal Bump surprisingly accepts as he believes the school could learn a lot with having a human exchange student. However, before he can consider it, Eda has to answer for all the trouble she caused back when she was a student. She is forced to wash off enchanted graffiti, get rid of all the ghosts in the girls' locker room, apologize to Miss Jenkinmeyer for stealing her teeth, and much more.
Meanwhile, while presenting Luz to the Human Appreciation Society, Mattholomule snitches on her and Gus. The guards find Luz and drag her to detention. After Mattholomule reveals his true intentions, Gus gets back at Mattholomule by deliberately getting them both into detention in order to save Luz. Detention happens to be a room where bad students are encased in bubbles and brainwashed to be "good" students. Gus confesses to Luz that he lied to her about the ban being lifted, and apologizes for letting his desire to stay as president get the better of him. Luz forgives him, and together they rescue Mattholomule and escape from detention just as Principal Bump agrees with Eda to have Luz attend Hexside.
Noticing all the damage and chaos caused, Principal Bump blames Luz for all the mayhem, and is no longer willing to accept her into the school. However, Gus defends her innocence when he confesses and takes full responsibility for everything. This convinces Principal Bump, who takes back what he said and announces to Luz that she will officially be enrolled at Hexside School next semester. As for Gus, he is removed from the Human Appreciation Society since detention is now out of order, making Mattholomule the new president. Back at the Owl House, Eda goes through old memories of all of incidents she caused, and gets surprised when Luz tells her "You were a terrible student."
- Sarah-Nicole Robles as Luz Noceda
- Wendie Malick as Eda Clawthorne
- Alex Hirsch as King and Hooty
- Issac Ryan Brown as Gus Porter
- Tati Gabrielle as Willow Park
- Jorge Diaz as Mattholomule
- Bumper Robinson as Principal Bump
- Kimberly D. Brooks as Skara and Eileen
- Matt Chapman as Goat Student, Thin Bully, and Bird Student
- Grey Griffin as Pig Student
- Kevin Michael Richardson as Detention Monster and School Guard
- Eden Riegel as Bo
Title in other languages
|Spanish (Latin America)||Una aventura, muchos engaños||An adventure, too much tricks|
|Portuguese (Brazil)||Aqui Se Planta, Aqui Se Colhe||Here You Plant, Here You Harvest|
|Chinese||露絲入學記||Luz's School Admission|
|Arabic||المغامر و المخاطر||Adventurer and Risk|
|French||Pari risqué, pari piégé||Risky bet, rigged bet|
|Hebrew||ההתגנבות שהסתבכה||The entangled stealth|
|Japanese||ウソとワナ||Lies and traps|
|Korean||루스, 마법 학교에 가다||Luz Goes to Magic School|
|Malaysian||Sesuatu Diusahakan, Seorang Dituduh||Something is worked on, Someone is accused|
|Dutch||Wie niet waagt, wie verzint||Who does not dare, who makes up|
|Portuguese||Quem Arrisca Não Petisca||Who Risks, Doesn't Gain|
|Polish||Kto wrobił człowieka?||Who framed a human?||Gdy Gus pomaga Luz zakraść się do Szkoły Czarum, by pokazać ją Towarzystwu Uznania dla Człowieka, Luz poznaje szkołę od takiej strony, jakiej się nie spodziewała|
|For a full transcript of "Something Ventured, Someone Framed", click here.|
Click here to view the gallery.
- The episode completed production on October 30, 2019.
- When Luz checked out all the trophy cups that Hexside got it, the 9th code got revealed on 1 of the cups, it got cracked into "EH-V" and translated into "Of".
Revelations and significant events
- Several things are revealed about Eda:
- Eda did not have her gold fang when she was a student at Hexside.
- Eda's last name is revealed to be Clawthorne.
- Eda was in the Potions Track when she attended Hexside.
- Eda had orange hair when she was young.
- Part of Eda's efforts include doing disciplinary write-ups for her misdeeds at Hexside, such as necrotic experiments, spraying hexed graffiti, scams, cheating, and stealing one of the teachers' teeth. Other incidents include:
- Incident #5523: At 1300 hours, Edalyn Clawthorne of the Potions Track let loose a pack of feral ghosts in the girls locker room. They flew around in circles predicting students' doom and shouting out horrible puns like "What's a ghost's favorite pie--BOO-BERRY!!" We called in a rag-tag team of "ghost blasters" to clean them out but they accidentally opened a door to the ghost dimension which threatened to overtake the city.
- Incident #3421: At 1200 hours, Edalyn Clawthorne raised an army of abominations to start a food fight after her sister Lilith's lunch money was stolen. The abominations then gained sentience and revolted against Edalyn, forming into one giant abomination and taking over the school. Edalyn, Lilith and the thief had to form an unlikely alliance to stop the giant abomination from destroying Hexside.
- Incident #9677: At 0900 hours, Edalyn Clawthorne hexed the school bells to sing famous pop song, "SINCE U BEEN CONNED". It lasted for 5 hours and could only be stopped by pitting the school bells against each other in a fight over who's the better boy band: "Babies to Boys" or "Two Seconds to New York." It was a horrible day but no one was allowed to go home early.
- Incident #2601: At 1400 hours, Edalyn Clawthorne was at it again. This time she found two giant bug-things that really just tore up the place. Oh, man, I'm getting so tired of writing these things. And now I'm just writing down what I'm thinking. Oh I hope no one actually reads these. I should take a day off. It's been years since my overlords let me take a day off.
- Incident #7662: At 1100 hours, Edalyn Clawthorne let the school Griffin out from its pen and fed it spicy snacks until it vomited all over the Grudgby field. Instead of cleaning it up, I ate a donut. My friends are always telling me I should practice self-care more often, and you know what? Why not! I deserve it!
- At the beginning of the episode, Luz is still banned from Hexside from the events of "I Was a Teenage Abomination". However, the ban is lifted in this episode and Luz is enrolled as a student for next semester.
- The title is an allusion to the phrase "nothing ventured, nothing gained".
- Ghostbusters - The rag-tag team of "ghost blasters" called in to clean up the ghosts in the girls locker room and accidentally opening a door to the ghost dimension is a reference to the plot of the first film in the franchise.
- Boyz II Men - "Babies to Boys" is a reference to this famous Boy Band.
- Thirty Seconds to Mars - "Two seconds to New York" is a reference to this famous rock band.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic - Skara says "Friendship is the real magic!", a reference to the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic cartoon.
- Simple Minds - "Why Can't You Remember Me" is a parody to the famous song "Don't You (Forget About Me)" by Simple Minds. The song playing during Eda's previous pranks is a reference to how the real-life song is reminiscent to school days.
- Kelly Clarkson - Incident #9677 is said that the pop song "SINCE YOU BEEN CONNED" was played for five hours. The song is a parody of the hit song "Since U Been Gone" by Kelly Clarkson.
- Monster Cereals - Boo Berry was one of three monster themed breakfast cereals introduced by General Mills in 1971. It was a companion to Frankenberry and Count Chocula.
- Naruto - Gus' use of multiple illusions of himself and Luz to escape detention is similar to shinobi Clone Techniques.
- Super Mario - The plant attacking Amelia in the Plant Homeroom bears a resemblance to the Piranha Plants in the Super Mario series.
- Gravity Falls - One of Eda's "incidents" is said to involve ghosts shouting out puns like "What is a ghost's favorite pie?" (Boo-berry.) The original pilot of Gravity Falls involves a popsicle stick with a very similar joke on it that eventually saves Dipper and Mabel.
- The image of Luz shown in the Wanted Poster in the episode differs from the image of Luz in the Wanted Poster shown in later episodes.
- When Gus closed the door to the Owl House after inviting Luz to Hexside his sleeve was black rather than the light blue of the Illusion Track.
- "You're kind of a jerk" (+ other "jerk" word), "Dang", and "I acted stupid" was cut in Southeast Asia broadcast. Also, "dang, dweebus." was cut too.
- In the Greek dub, Eda voices over all of her misdeed write-ups synoptically to Luz.
|— Episodes —|
|Season 1||"A Lying Witch and a Warden" • "Witches Before Wizards" • "I Was a Teenage Abomination" • "The Intruder" • "Covention" • "Hooty's Moving Hassle" • "Lost in Language" • "Once Upon a Swap" • "Something Ventured, Someone Framed" • "Escape of the Palisman" • "Sense and Insensitivity" • "Adventures in the Elements" • "The First Day" • "Really Small Problems" • "Understanding Willow" • "Enchanting Grom Fright" • "Wing It Like Witches" • "Agony of a Witch" • "Young Blood, Old Souls"|
|Season 2||"Separate Tides" • "Escaping Expulsion" • "Echoes of the Past" • "Keeping Up A-fear-ances" • "Through the Looking Glass Ruins" • "Hunting Palismen" • "Eda's Requiem" • "Knock, Knock, Knockin' on Hooty's Door" • "Eclipse Lake" • "Yesterday's Lie"|
|Owl Pellets||"Welcome to Hexside" • "Eda's Cursed Brush" • "Paint Scare!" • "Art Lessons with Luz" • "Coven Lovin Soap Opera" • "The Dollhouse" (unreleased)|